I have a new home but I need some advice on settling in.

When setting up a new home. The rent and council tax should be affordable for you.

If for any reason you are unable to pay either council tax or a part of your rent for a temporary period of time, then you should complete a Discretionary Housing Payment form for the rent and a Council Tax Deduction form for the council tax. If accepted then this will help you for the agreed period of time, it’s very unlikely this will be extended.

You can also apply to the help scheme for certain items to make sure you have all your essentials such as:

  • White goods
  • Beds
  • Sofa
  • Kitchen starter pack
  • Bed and bath starter pack
  • Where there is a child or person with a vulnerability at the address, they may assist with basic carpeting for 1 or 2 rooms.
  • Where there is a specific need, the help scheme can look at other items, but there has to be a proven need.

Download an application form

There are a number of services that have upcycled or suitable and affordable reclaimed furniture at reasonable prices. Your nearest services are listed below.


Ellesmere Port


  • Chester Recycle shop, 29 Bumpers Lane, Chester, CH1 4LT – 01244 372764

Outside Chester

If budgeting is an issue then consider requesting the rent be paid directly to the landlord to avoid any potential rent issues. Consider comparison websites to look at utility providers, for such as:

  • Gas
  • Electricity
  • Telephone/Broadband

There are a number of services within Cheshire West and Chester that are contracted and trained to support customers with specific housing related issues: